- Photo : Ander Arias-González
More than 65 scientists and participants from the forest sector from more than 8 European regions met to discuss the role of soils in forest management.
The inaugural address was given by Dr. Luca Montanarella from the European Commission, who highlighted that soil degradation is a serious problem in Europe and that ecosystems are becoming less and less able to produce goods and provide services to the society as a result of degradation.
Regional examples ranging from Iceland to Galicia in Spain were presented in this FORRISK seminar, highlighting the need for a common framework directive for the protection of forest plantation soils in Europe.
The most relevant output from this workshop will be a book summarising the presentations and conclusions of the event.
It is hoped to publish this book in the first half of 2015, which will coincide with the celebration of the International Soil Year
Videos of the presentations are available here : http://www.neiker.net/neiker/forrisk-videos/
PDFs of the presentations can be downloaded below :
Session : Overview of soil degradation risks in the EU
1. Opening by Ana Aizpurua Insausti, Neiker-Tecnalia
2. Keynote speech : Soil degradation risks and prevention in the EU : Soil Protection Policy in Europe by Dr Luca Montanarella, European Commission
3. Comparative strengths, weaknesses and opportunities for soil protection in cultivated forests in the SUDOE Area by Miss Sarah Fermet Quinet, EFIATLANTIC
4. IUFRO´s current strategic priorities, and opportunities for collaboration by Dr Jean Michel Carnus, INRA
Session : Regional soil degradation risks and prevention programmes through the “Atlantic Rim” planted forests
5. Iceland by Dr Thröstur Eysteinsson, Iceland Forest Service
6. Ireland by Dr Ken Byrne, Univerisity of Limerick
7. United Kingdom by Dr Elena Vanguelova, Forest Research
8. Aquitaine by Dr Mark Bakker, INRA
9. The Basque Country by Dr Nahia Gartzia Bengoetxea, Neiker-Tecnalia
10. Galicia by Dr Nieves Barros, University of Santiago de Compostela
Session : Implementing forest management practices for soil protection
11. Synergy and partnerships between forest owners and water operators by Mr Bernard Bechevet, Association Syndicale libre Forestière du Mont Forchat
12. Woodlands for drinking water : from best management practices to partnerships by Dr Julien Fiquepron-CNPF
13. Soil Scottish Framework : Implementing soil protection policy at regional scale by Mr Willie Towers, The James Hutton Institute
14. Reporting from regional cases, discussion and summary by Dr Iñigo Virto-UPNA)
812 Bizkaia Science and Technology Park,